• Welcome!

Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.

Sign in to follow this  
Papageorgio

Sync 3.4 Sees New Phone as Mass Storage Device Instead of Android Auto

Hi all,

I just got a new Android 11 phone. It is a Nubia Redmagic 6 Pro. It is not a US mainstream device, but it has the specs that I wanted and is ultimately made by ZTE which was (politics aside) reputable enough for me.

My APIM is running Sync 3.4.21194 (latest available). The issue I am having is that this phone, and only this phone, is unrecognized by Sync as an Android Auto capable device. Instead, Sync tries to mount it as a mass storage device like a USB thumb drive with media files on it. Android Auto is never triggered.

I've ruled out just about everything I can think of. I've used a high quality cable, done master resets on the phone and Sync, re-paired Bluetooth, and tested other phones in my vehicle, which all work. The reason I'm not posting this in an Android forum (yet) is as follows -- Android Auto on the new phone works perfectly in other vehicles. My wife has a Sonata and as soon as the new phone is plugged in, Android Auto immediately starts. My vehicle equipped with Sync is the only car so far that won't trigger Android Auto on my new phone. This suggests to me at least that Sync is partially responsible for error.

I'm looking for some guidance on where to go from here. I know tracking the root cause of this issue is going to be a PITA, but I'm willing to do as deep a dive as I need to figure out what's going on. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking at next, no matter how technical? Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if Sync has some kind of whitelist for cellular devices for Android Auto or it's looking for some special type of signaling from the device that only applies to Sync...any help to point me in the right direction so I can continue my troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Edited by Papageorgio

THe question I have is this...

Is Android Auto installed on the new device... these days you might think it is , but it is not always...

And I believe that 3.4.21194 might not be the latest... at least as far as Ford or Lincoln are saying....   i.e. not showing up on owner.ford or owner.lincoln

Yes, Android Auto is installed on the new device and is recognized by the entertainment systems in other brands of vehicles. I know it's no longer a standalone app in Android 11, but I can see it's there in the app list, and displays the most recent version number available in the Play Store.

I didn't know there was anything newer than 21194. I've been using Syn3 Updater from CyanLabs to update incrementally since it was first released and that's the most recent one they're pushing out.

Edited by Papageorgio

You are correct, AA is part of 11 now, and might not be for long... but that is another issue

You won't get much help here if you have been using the Cyan software... best to ask them for help

20 hours ago, Papageorgio said:

Hi all,

I just got a new Android 11 phone. It is a Nubia Redmagic 6 Pro. It is not a US mainstream device, but it has the specs that I wanted and is ultimately made by ZTE which was (politics aside) reputable enough for me.

My APIM is running Sync 3.4.21194 (latest available). The issue I am having is that this phone, and only this phone, is unrecognized by Sync as an Android Auto capable device. Instead, Sync tries to mount it as a mass storage device like a USB thumb drive with media files on it. Android Auto is never triggered.

I've ruled out just about everything I can think of. I've used a high quality cable, done master resets on the phone and Sync, re-paired Bluetooth, and tested other phones in my vehicle, which all work. The reason I'm not posting this in an Android forum (yet) is as follows -- Android Auto on the new phone works perfectly in other vehicles. My wife has a Sonata and as soon as the new phone is plugged in, Android Auto immediately starts. My vehicle equipped with Sync is the only car so far that won't trigger Android Auto on my new phone. This suggests to me at least that Sync is partially responsible for error.

I'm looking for some guidance on where to go from here. I know tracking the root cause of this issue is going to be a PITA, but I'm willing to do as deep a dive as I need to figure out what's going on. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking at next, no matter how technical? Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if Sync has some kind of whitelist for cellular devices for Android Auto or it's looking for some special type of signaling from the device that only applies to Sync...any help to point me in the right direction so I can continue my troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

19 hours ago, Multitask said:

20 hours ago, Papageorgio said:

Yes, Android Auto is installed on the new device and is recognized by the entertainment systems in other brands of vehicles. I know it's no longer a standalone app in Android 11, but I can see it's there in the app list, and displays the most recent version number available in the Play Store.

I didn't know there was anything newer than 21194. I've been using Syn3 Updater from CyanLabs to update incrementally since it was first released and that's the most recent one they're pushing out.

Hi Papa. You have two possible issues that jump out. First...Yes, SYNC 3 does have a compatible device list, and perhaps your ZTE phone is not on it (very possible). You can find the list on the Lincoln or Ford owner sites in the SYNC sections.

Second, you have used CyanLabs aftermarket software to update your SYNC system, and it is known to have "little" bugs here and there. What model/model year is your vehicle? Why are you using the CyanLabs software? Was your vehicle not equipped with SYNC 3.4 from the factory?

Your best bet would be to contact CyanLabs to see if this is a know issue that they have a solution to.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks, bbf2530. I tried pulling up the Ford compatibility site and it's not showing me anything - I'll try it again later.

I have a 2015 MKZ, originally with Sync 2. My "donor" APIM and screen from a junked 2019 Ford Explorer, originally with Sync 3 3.0, I believe. Last year, I used CyanLab's software to force 3.4 with the reformat tool. All worked well and I've been using the tool to apply the periodic updates. Up until last week, I was using a OnePlus 7 Pro, which interfaced with Sync's Android Auto capability just fine.

I did post on CyanLab's board as well. Nothing substantive in the way of suggestions yet.

It is most definitely interesting you were able to confirm that there is a compatible device list. I think I'll focus my efforts on trying to understand that a little more at this point to see if I can confirm that ZTE model(s) are omitted.

Thank you again!

If you were having this issue with Sync2, or even with the Sync3 swap out, then I would say have you tried connecting another phone to it to see if you get the same or different results.

But you answered your own question there and said the OnePlus 7 Pro worked just fine.  So I would conclude that there are 2 factors going on here.

1: the Cyan updates are at fault

2: the ZTE is at fault.

Being that CyanLabs doesn't know is not our problem here... we are here for those that did things with respect to Ford/Lincoln

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/technology/sync-general/sync-phone-compatibility-list

I don't see your phone listed on their site. https://zteusa.com/ or https://ztedevices.com/en-us/

Like I said, you will get as much help from here as Cyanlabs... maybe less.

5 hours ago, Papageorgio said:

Thanks, bbf2530. I tried pulling up the Ford compatibility site and it's not showing me anything - I'll try it again later.

I have a 2015 MKZ, originally with Sync 2. My "donor" APIM and screen from a junked 2019 Ford Explorer, originally with Sync 3 3.0, I believe. Last year, I used CyanLab's software to force 3.4 with the reformat tool. All worked well and I've been using the tool to apply the periodic updates. Up until last week, I was using a OnePlus 7 Pro, which interfaced with Sync's Android Auto capability just fine.

I did post on CyanLab's board as well. Nothing substantive in the way of suggestions yet.

It is most definitely interesting you were able to confirm that there is a compatible device list. I think I'll focus my efforts on trying to understand that a little more at this point to see if I can confirm that ZTE model(s) are omitted.

Thank you again!

Hi Papa. Considering your previous and new information, my first thought is that it is a ZTE compatibility issue. Second guess is going to be a CyanLabs issue/glitch. Or even possibly both. Blind Internet diagnosis, even without several variables, has its limits. 😉

Keep us updated on what you find and good luck.