• Welcome!

Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.

bbf2530

11/30/20 - New SYNC 3 update available (SYNC v3.0.20204). Updated.

Took a short drive yesterday and when I got back home checked the status.  I now have build 20204.

Hi Muzicman. Great! Yes, for some reason, it sometimes takes more than one restart, or a short period of time, for the update to show correctly in the "About SYNC" settings..

I have performed three SYNC updates via USB on my MKZ. The first one did not show the updated version# until later in the day. The other two updates (including 20204) went perfectly smooth. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Good luck.

I've done many updates since my first experience with Sync1 on my 2008 Focus.  First time I ever had an issue.  Albeit a minor one.

Hi gang. To avoid confusion, just a quick heads up on this SYNC 3 update: Lincoln/Ford have updated their SYNC 3 update websites to show the update is actually version v3.0.20204 (not v3.0.202041). So that is the version which which will show on your vehicle's SYNC screen in your "About SYNC" setting after a successful update.

The original "v3/0/202041" listing was a typo on the website.

Good luck.

So I followed the instructions from the Ford Sync website for downloading the update on a Mac computer and it's either out of date or just plain wrong.  First of all Stuffit Expander is not available for the Mac anymore in the U.S.  STRIKE 1.

The only choice available when right clicking on the downloaded ZIP file is "Archive Utility" which is the current default expander for the Mac.  This worked but did not create a folder named SyncMyRide as the Ford website instructions claim it will.  It created several a folder named: 5U5T-14G381-EK.  There is no folder named SyncMyRide  STRIKE 2.  Inside that folder there are several SyncMyRide files which appear not to have been expanded and are still in Zipped format. STRIKE 3.

Questions:  1.  Do I create the SyncMyRide folder and put everything in there including the auto.install.lst and DONTINDX.MSA or just the SyncMyRide files.  2.  Is it even necessary to create the folder?

Thanks for your help on this.  Here's a screenshot of the files created by using Archive Utility to expand the zipped file:

1694491783_ScreenShot2020-12-27at9_28_56AM.png.4e4a2e8007991ed909cb5c89b1d74bfe.png

On 12/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, Gregory Hirsch said:

So I followed the instructions from the Ford Sync website for downloading the update on a Mac computer and it's either out of date or just plain wrong.  First of all Stuffit Expander is not available for the Mac anymore in the U.S.  STRIKE 1.

The only choice available when right clicking on the downloaded ZIP file is "Archive Utility" which is the current default expander for the Mac.  This worked but did not create a folder named SyncMyRide as the Ford website instructions claim it will.  It created several a folder named: 5U5T-14G381-EK.  There is no folder named SyncMyRide  STRIKE 2.  Inside that folder there are several SyncMyRide files which appear not to have been expanded and are still in Zipped format. STRIKE 3.

Questions:  1.  Do I create the SyncMyRide folder and put everything in there including the auto.install.lst and DONTINDX.MSA or just the SyncMyRide files.  2.  Is it even necessary to create the folder?

Thanks for your help on this.  Here's a screenshot of the files created by using Archive Utility to expand the zipped file:

1694491783_ScreenShot2020-12-27at9_28_56AM.png.4e4a2e8007991ed909cb5c89b1d74bfe.png

I'm not sure why it does that.... but .... all you need to do is create the SyncMyRide folder and put the files that end with .gz in it... then rename them without the SyncMyRide\ as part of the file name...

the autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA remain as they are.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 5:00 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi bnewt. Go to the Ford SYNC 3 update site, input your VIN, and the system will tell you if you have any available updates.

The Ford SYNC 3 update website is located here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Let us know how  you make out and good luck.

The website shows an update available, but if I have v3.3, wouldn't 3.0 be a move backwards?

4 hours ago, bnewt said:

The website shows an update available, but if I have v3.3, wouldn't 3.0 be a move backwards?

4 hours ago, bnewt said:

Hi bnewt. Not sure exactly what the situation is you are describing. I think you will need to provide more information. 

-Which vehicle are you referring to? The 2017 Ranger or the 2020 MKZ?

-What version of SYNC is in your vehicle?

-What website are you referring to? The Ford or Lincoln SYNC Update website?

If you have SYNC 3.3, you would be eligible for an upgrade to SYNC 3.4. You would not be able to back up to SYNC 3.0. What version of SYNC is the website offering for an update/upgrade?

Please provide all of the information asked above. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

my explorer is showing version 3.0 with an update available

I could have sworn that I updated it to 3.3 several months ago

the wife's 2020 mkz has version 3.4 and also has an update available, along with free map update

I have the automatic update option via wifi  turned off as I would like to read about the new version for the mkz

unfortunately, there isn't much forum activity on the mkz line

2 hours ago, bnewt said:

my explorer is showing version 3.0 with an update available

I could have sworn that I updated it to 3.3 several months ago

the wife's 2020 mkz has version 3.4 and also has an update available, along with free map update

I have the automatic update option via wifi  turned off as I would like to read about the new version for the mkz

unfortunately, there isn't much forum activity on the mkz line

Hi bnewt. The SYNC 3.0 system in your 2017 Explorer can not be upgraded to SYNC 3.3 or 3.4. The update showing as available for your Explorer is likely SYNC v3.0.20204. It is still SYNC 3.0.

The only way you could have upgraded your 2017 Explorer from SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.3 would be through certain third party websites, which would tell you how to do it in a non-factory approved manner. And if you did that, you would certainly know you did it, since it is not a simple WiFi or single step USB factory/Ford SYNC website update.

Yes, your wife's 2020 MKZ would have SYNC 3.4 from the factory.

SYNC updates generally happen once a year. Maybe twice if we are lucky. They are not like Microsoft or iOS updates which happen weekly/monthly/regularly.  And you will not find any real information concerning what a SYNC update contains. All you will find is general statements to the effect that an update "Will improve the user experience and interface...fix certain bugs...etc.

Good luck.