Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.



Sign in to follow this  
h0race1968

Ford website showing a 0mb download - cannot update maps

Recommended Posts

Hello all

 

I'm new here - greetings from the North of England.

 

I've just bought a 2018 Fiesta with a Sync 3 nav unit. It showed software version 2.3, so I followed the instructions on the Ford UK website and successfully updated to version 3.0 build 19205 (not sure if that is the latest version, as I can't find any release notes). I then uploaded the log file and got the 'success' message.

 

The issue is that the website still shows that I need to update the Sync 3 software before updating the maps (I currently have version 6.1). it's telling me 'A software update is available. Approx 0mb'. Unsurprisingly, that download doesn't achieve anything beyond an error message when I try to update the Sync 3 with it. The file in question is a tiny LST file which contains the following text:; SYNC3 Consumer Application Upgrade - Release 3.0.21 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

 

I don't see an obvious way forward from here, so would be very grateful for some advice.

 

Many thanks

Edited by h0race1968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sync 3 update you does not include the Maps.  Those are a seperate download.

 

I'm sure BFF will chime in on the UK site to get them.  F9 (1-19) seems to be the current... it might be F8 1-18 for you... it's hard to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Multitask said:

The Sync 3 update you does not include the Maps.  Those are a seperate download.

 

I'm sure BFF will chime in on the UK site to get them.  F9 (1-19) seems to be the current... it might be F8 1-18 for you... it's hard to say.

 

Thanks. I think the problem is that the system still thinks my Sync 3 software is not up to date, so isn't offering me the map update. But the file I'm being offered to update the Sync 3 software appears to be invalid.

 

Sometimes I long for the old days, when putting in a decent stereo was all about removing door panels and routing speaker cables. Suddenly I feel old...

 

Still, I can definitely recommend the B&O speaker option on the Fiesta. It really kicks - not as much as the subwoofer I once fitted to a Citroen ZX Turbo (it took up most of the boot space), but pretty decent nonetheless. 

Edited by h0race1968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19205 might be good.... 

I'm not sure what you can do, but in the US the site to start at it

owner.ford.com

 

from there it will lead you to the maps.... so maybe owner.ford.uk ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Multitask said:

19205 might be good.... 

I'm not sure what you can do, but in the US the site to start at it

owner.ford.com

 

from there it will lead you to the maps.... so maybe owner.ford.uk ?

Thanks. Here in the UK, the Ford website Sync 3 update process requires registration and entering your car's VIN. There doesn't seem to be a way to select what you download - the system tells you what it thinks you need. In my case, it thinks I need a useless file that won't work, so I've hit a wall - no way to download maps until I get the Sync 3 software sorted (as far as I can tell).

 

Of course, I could call Ford's technical help line (and bankrupt myself in ten minutes, as it's not free of charge). OTOH, my car still has six months of the three year Ford warranty on it, though I've never bought a car that new before, so manufacturer warranties are a novelty! Do Ford cover software issues, or should I give up and go with Android Auto? TBH, I was pretty disappointed that the Sync 3 nav doesn't even have house number search (postcode only) - my 8 year old Garmin is better in that respect.

 

Never mind - the car is fine and the stereo sounds great. Oh, and that heated windscreen will be very useful when winter arrives.

Edited by h0race1968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.644ed336b8b16b01dbf69c583bb37b26.png

 

This is what I see on the US site, so Nav Map Updates does not show on the UK one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Multitask said:

image.png.644ed336b8b16b01dbf69c583bb37b26.png

 

This is what I see on the US site, so Nav Map Updates does not show on the UK one?

No, the Ford UK site has all of the above completely automated so those options aren't available. When you log in, there is a section called 'Sync and maps software update'. This shows your VIN and a message telling you there is a software update. If you can't complete that update (for any reason) you cannot proceed to download new maps.

 

Frankly, it's a bad joke.

Edited by h0race1968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of googling suggests that it might be a case of the Ford server not updating, so I'll be patient.

 

I'll try calling my local Ford dealer. You never know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have been known to have issues on the servers.... a lot of times...

The maps are not run by them though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I may have made some progress. My Sync 3 unit currently shows that it is running 3.0 build 19205. Out of curiosity, I've unzipped all the files I downloaded from the Ford website and...

 

It transpires that the last version I downloaded is actually SYNCGen3.0_3.2.19056-Pre18.5_PRODUCT.19056_PRODUCT. 

 

I've tried several times to get the above to load into my Sync 3 (I thought I was reloading version 3.0, but it seems I must have also downloaded a later version).

 

My issue has therefore changed. When I put the USB drive into the car, it goes through the update process and tells me it's complete, but it clearly isn't - not moving from version 3.0.

 

It looks as if I'm doing something wrong. The actual update only seems to take about 10 mins. 

 

Any tips on getting the new software to fully install?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 5:50 AM, h0race1968 said:

No, the Ford UK site has all of the above completely automated so those options aren't available. When you log in, there is a section called 'Sync and maps software update'. This shows your VIN and a message telling you there is a software update. If you can't complete that update (for any reason) you cannot proceed to download new maps.

 

Frankly, it's a bad joke.

So the Sync updates and the Maps are all part of the same process... hmmm...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, h0race1968 said:

OK, I may have made some progress. My Sync 3 unit currently shows that it is running 3.0 build 19205. Out of curiosity, I've unzipped all the files I downloaded from the Ford website and...

 

It transpires that the last version I downloaded is actually SYNCGen3.0_3.2.19056-Pre18.5_PRODUCT.19056_PRODUCT. 

 

I've tried several times to get the above to load into my Sync 3 (I thought I was reloading version 3.0, but it seems I must have also downloaded a later version).

 

My issue has therefore changed. When I put the USB drive into the car, it goes through the update process and tells me it's complete, but it clearly isn't - not moving from version 3.0.

 

It looks as if I'm doing something wrong. The actual update only seems to take about 10 mins. 

 

Any tips on getting the new software to fully install?

 

 

 

My first thought is why are you trying to update?

 

Then from there, you do the normal thing and say it's not moving up from 3.0, you won't be able to get to anything higher than 3.0 but the sub versions... like 19204 etc...

3.3 and 3.4 need something different than what 3.0 provides as far as hardware and how it's formated.

 

From what you show you got (from the Ford UK site) might be a way to get to 3.2 from 3.0 ? Maybe... but only if your car is a 2018 or less... (sometimes that means one that has a build of 2017)

19056 does not ring a bell... so it's hard to tell if it's what you should have gotten from them.

 

Only way to know for sure is take that to a dealer (some don't have a clue on that, because they are not trained for that) and see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Multitask said:

 

My first thought is why are you trying to update?

 

Then from there, you do the normal thing and say it's not moving up from 3.0, you won't be able to get to anything higher than 3.0 but the sub versions... like 19204 etc...

3.3 and 3.4 need something different than what 3.0 provides as far as hardware and how it's formated.

 

From what you show you got (from the Ford UK site) might be a way to get to 3.2 from 3.0 ? Maybe... but only if your car is a 2018 or less... (sometimes that means one that has a build of 2017)

19056 does not ring a bell... so it's hard to tell if it's what you should have gotten from them.

 

Only way to know for sure is take that to a dealer (some don't have a clue on that, because they are not trained for that) and see what they say.

Unfortunately, I can't update the maps until the software is up to date. Unless I work out how to solve this, I'll never be able to download map updates, which isn't great.

 

I've just applied the 3.2 update and got the message saying it would be applied next time I started the car. Unfortunately, it won't go any further than that. just drove for over an hour and nothing happened. Still on version 3.

 

I'll persevere.

Edited by h0race1968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why it is telling you that it is going to 3.2, when all you can do is go to 3.0 19xxx

DId you get that file from the Ford web site, or some other web site that claims to be able to upgrade you to 3.2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Multitask said:

I'm not sure why it is telling you that it is going to 3.2, when all you can do is go to 3.0 19xxx

DId you get that file from the Ford web site, or some other web site that claims to be able to upgrade you to 3.2?

 

The download came from the Ford website. Because there were no release notes, I unzipped all the files in the package, one of which contained this: Version Number = SYNCGen3.0_3.2.19056-Pre18.5_PRODUCT.19056_PRODUCT.

 

Could it be that different countries have different software versions? Or am I not reading it correctly?

 

I don't know - just guesswork on my part.

 

Here's what I now think has happened (I could be wrong): I started with version 2.3. Registered my details on the Ford website, which told me there was an update, which I successfully applied. That's how I got to version 3. It then told me there was another update, which I downloaded and applied, but the Sync 3 still showed version 3, so I assumed I had simply downloaded the same package a second time. In fact, the second update was indeed a newer version, but it simply hasn't applied properly yet.

 

Does that make sense? I've had a few glasses of wine...

 

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so it more than likely took you to 3.0 and an earlier version of 3.0, then told you there as a newer version of 3.0

If everything is working as expected, I would not bother... 

maybe in a few months/weeks there will be an even newer version that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the website again, and it has now decided that my software is up to date and offered me a new map.

 

I have no idea why it took a week to happen, but I'm pleased nevertheless.

 

Maps downloading now.

 

I'll let you know how it goes from here.

 

Thanks - I'm none the wiser, but the issue seems to have resolved itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Custom Search

×