Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.



High Flyer

Navigation Update Problems

Recommended Posts

I have a 2016 Ford Edge. The Navigation Maps were outdated when I bought the vehicle. I asked my dealer about upgrading my maps, but was told they only update these every 12-18 months. So I kept checking for updates every 6 months until my warranty had expired. A year later they informed me that a new update was available. So I went to my Dealer and scheduled the update. Later that day while the vehicle was being serviced the Service Manager called and said he would advise not getting the update. Evidently they had tried several times to update other vehicles causing the Sync 3 computer to crash. The computer cost $900 and neither my Dealer or Ford would stand behind the cost of replacing the computer. 

Wander if anyone else had this same problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016 with Sync 3? hmmm... I looked and yes they had them...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3675/auxiliary-protocol-interface-module-apim-replacement-2016-2018-ford-lincoln

Not sure if this still applies

If they bricked the APIM, they should replace for free....

A Sync 3 APIM with nav should be about 3-400 from a wreck...   car-parts.com  (saw on ebay one for 199)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, High Flyer said:

Evidently they had tried several times to update other vehicles causing the Sync 3 computer to crash.

Wander if anyone else had this same problem?


That's odd since there hasn't been a single post on this or any of the more active Edge forums about this.  Use the forum search (look for 'map update' or 'brick' or similar.) 
If I were you I'd just go to Ford's map update site, pay the $109 for the map download and do it yourself as many have done.  https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

Edit to add: If you search this or other Edge forums don't confuse map updates with Sync updates.  They're completely different animals.  Also be sure you're looking at comments about Sync3 not earlier versions that use a memory card to hold map data.

 

Edited by Gadgetjq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, High Flyer said:

I have a 2016 Ford Edge. The Navigation Maps were outdated when I bought the vehicle. I asked my dealer about upgrading my maps, but was told they only update these every 12-18 months. So I kept checking for updates every 6 months until my warranty had expired. A year later they informed me that a new update was available. So I went to my Dealer and scheduled the update. Later that day while the vehicle was being serviced the Service Manager called and said he would advise not getting the update. Evidently they had tried several times to update other vehicles causing the Sync 3 computer to crash. The computer cost $900 and neither my Dealer or Ford would stand behind the cost of replacing the computer. 

Wander if anyone else had this same problem?

 

Hi HF. Owners of Ford/Lincoln vehicles with SYNC3 and NAV are eligible for one complementary NAV maps upgrade. If you never had the upgrade, you may still be eligible. The only caveat in your case: I am not sure the vehicle is still eligible once it is out of warranty.

 

You can check this website to see if you have an update available, whether it is complementary etc: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So lets nail this down...

 

What version of Sync do you have?  Sync 3 1.x 2.x or 3.x ?  (I'm guessing 2.2)

And then What version of the maps do you have?  1-14 1-15 

Yes, there is a different install for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you are using the correct ESN. I used the first one that was listed which was the incorrect one and it did not work.  Once  I used  the correct one, all was good.  I don’t remember  the differnet terminolgy for the two ESNs off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alcohenusa said:

Make sure you are using the correct ESN. I used the first one that was listed which was the incorrect one and it did not work.  Once  I used  the correct one, all was good.  I don’t remember  the differnet terminolgy for the two ESNs off the top of my head.

 

Thanks.  Had to scroll down to the the bottom of the page to the SYNC ESN.  Crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Custom Search

×