Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.



Gadgetjq

Map Updates Now Available For Sync3

Recommended Posts

Yea... I would say wait with the USB stick in there until you see that it's 118 ... it will probably reboot about 5-7 times as there are 7 files I believe...

 

As a guess it is checking what is there, determining what info it needs to change, then moving things around while it installs... 

 

Plan on it taking about an Hour!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi bbf2530

 

So guess what, once you install it in your car, and it does it's update, it will not let you re-install it again,  I went to the Sync site it says I am at NA18, however the radio screen still shows NA17.  SO I am not sure which is right, but I am no longer able to update the software and that is that.  

 

SO I will see what happens over the next few days, will be taking it in for service in about 3 weeks, will get dealership to confirm the actual software status.   

thank you for all your help,

regards

 

Fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredsat said:

Hi bbf2530

 

So guess what, once you install it in your car, and it does it's update, it will not let you re-install it again,  I went to the Sync site it says I am at NA18, however the radio screen still shows NA17.  SO I am not sure which is right, but I am no longer able to update the software and that is that.  

 

SO I will see what happens over the next few days, will be taking it in for service in about 3 weeks, will get dealership to confirm the actual software status.   

thank you for all your help,

regards

 

Fred

 

Hi fredsat.  If that is the case with your current USB files, you can go to the update website and re-download the update, license file etc. It is explained in the E-mail you were sent when you registered your vehicle for the download. I just checked my E-mail and there is also a link to re-download.  It does state somewhere to open the E-mail link on a Desktop or Laptop, as opposed to on a smartphone.

 

I do not know if the upload to your vehicle may still be blocked, but it may be worth a try at this point.

 

Hope this helps. Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredsat said:

So guess what, once you install it in your car, and it does it's update, it will not let you re-install it again


Hey Fred,

 

Why don't you use the live chat or the help line mentioned on the download page ( (800) 900-8458  ) for assistance.  Someone there should be able to walk you through what's gone wrong and how to fix it.  Your dealer probably won't even know there's a map update available much less how to fix it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gadgetjq

 

I have now been calling that number from 9:00 am and it is 1:19 right now, busy, busy, busy,  I think they come in the morning pick up the phone and leave it off line.

 

I will try to email them.   Will check with dealer tomorrow not far from the house.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi bbf2530

 

Deleted the email so don't have that to go back to.  Really crazy,  Can't call as the number is busy  ALL the time, been calling for 4 hours straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredsat said:

Hi bbf2530

 

Deleted the email so don't have that to go back to.  Really crazy,  Can't call as the number is busy  ALL the time, been calling for 4 hours straight.

 

Hi Fred. Did you check your "Deleted Email" folder?  Deleted emails usually go into a "Deleted Email folder and don't truly delete for a week or so...sometimes even 30 days.

 

Also, you may be able to simply re-input your information on the website to get the download again. Did you try?

 

Just trying to come up with possibilities that may help. Keep us updated and good luck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again Fred. Another possibility: When you downloaded the files onto your desktop or laptop, they usually go into the "Download" folder, or whichever alternate folder you may have specified. Are they still there and available for download onto your USB again?

 

If they are, hopefully a fresh download onto your USB drive may solve the issue for you.

 

Again, keep us updated and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI OK.   I can no longer download the files as it indicated I am at NA18,  NOT<   Still at NA17,  Also when I out in the USB stick into the car to try and upgrade, nothing happens, NO "Updating System Software"   so it looks like once the system believes you have updated or completed the file, you can no longer change it.    I am trying to contact Ford to see what can be done, to correct this.

 

Fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredsat said:

HI OK.   I can no longer download the files as it indicated I am at NA18,  NOT<   Still at NA17,  Also when I out in the USB stick into the car to try and upgrade, nothing happens, NO "Updating System Software"   so it looks like once the system believes you have updated or completed the file, you can no longer change it.    I am trying to contact Ford to see what can be done, to correct this.

 

Fred

 

Hi Fred.  Oh, jeez.  Keep us updated and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredsat said:

HI OK.   I can no longer download the files as it indicated I am at NA18,  NOT<   Still at NA17,  Also when I out in the USB stick into the car to try and upgrade, nothing happens, NO "Updating System Software"   so it looks like once the system believes you have updated or completed the file, you can no longer change it.    I am trying to contact Ford to see what can be done, to correct this.

 

Fred

 

as has been mentioned, how long did you leave the USB stick in the car?  I would leave it in for about an hour... see if it does anything along the way... if it says it's done, don't believe it, wait the whole hour, and then check... if not, then Talking to Ford might help.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today I tried to order the update NAV map on the website and it kept complaining about my ESN was incorrect.

So it suggested calling their 800 number, to which I did, and the support person told me that ESN only begin with "V or W" (I think that was the letters).

after 15 minutes on the phone, of the support person insisted that my ESN did not begin with "T5AF*****" even though I was looking about the about screen.

After about 20 minutes he gave me a 800 number which was useless also, he ended up sending me to a Ford Sync 800 number, this also was a waste because 

the Sync person send me to another company that sold the NAV maps for "My touch".  Arggg that will not help with Sync 3.....

 

Has any one else seen this issue?

Does your ESN begin with a "T"?

Anybody got a suggest how to get around this blockade?

 

:banghead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, punch-card said:

So today I tried to order the update NAV map on the website and it kept complaining about my ESN was incorrect.

So it suggested calling their 800 number, to which I did, and the support person told me that ESN only begin with "V or W" (I think that was the letters).

after 15 minutes on the phone, of the support person insisted that my ESN did not begin with "T5AF*****" even though I was looking about the about screen.

After about 20 minutes he gave me a 800 number which was useless also, he ended up sending me to a Ford Sync 800 number, this also was a waste because 

the Sync person send me to another company that sold the NAV maps for "My touch".  Arggg that will not help with Sync 3.....

 

Has any one else seen this issue?

Does your ESN begin with a "T"?

Anybody got a suggest how to get around this blockade?

 

:banghead:

 

Hi punch. Taking a guess here: You may be making the same mistake others have made, and are giving your Modem ESN number instead of your SYNC ESN number.

 

In your car on your SYNC screen, go to the "About SYNC" page. Scroll down further and look for the SYNC ESN number (not the Modem ESN). Hopefully this will solve your problem.

 

On a related note, my SYNC ESN serial number begins with a V.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi punch. Taking a guess here: You may be making the same mistake others have made, and are giving your Modem ESN number instead of your SYNC ESN number.

 

In your car on your SYNC screen, go to the "About SYNC" page. Scroll down further and look for the SYNC ESN number (not the Modem ESN). Hopefully this will solve your problem.

 

On a related note, my SYNC ESN serial number begins with a V.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Your correct,  I saw ESN, and even told the person it was the modem ESN, and he never said that it was the SYNC's ESN.... I will try that..   Thanks,  you hit the nail on the head.

 

Update: 100% correct,  it started with a WV... and worked first time, updating maps shortly... Thanks

Edited by punch-card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, I did the same thing (trying to use the modem ESN instead of SYNC's) when I was signing up for the map update.  Once I got past that and followed the instructions exactly, my update went just fine on my 2018 Fusion Hybrid Platinum.  Took just under an hour.

 

The thing that upset me a little is the date of the map information:  January 2018.  You would think it would at least have been January 2019.  It was bad enough that I had January 2015 data for two years on a vehicle I bought new in September 2017.  My other half has a 2019 Subaru Forester and it's received two (free) map updates so far and we've owned it less than a year!

 

I did some spot checking of newer businesses (but older than January 2018) near our house and the POI information is still old and stale.  Hopefully the freeway info has been updated.  The I-15 coming home to San Diego from Las Vegas on my old maps still showed freeway transitions that were switched from one side of the freeway to the other for years now.  I'd be interested to see if they fixed that.

 

I'm just glad that Ford didn't have the audacity to charge for this update.  I'm guessing the next one won't be free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford does not have control, it's the company that makes them for them,  HERE I believe is the name of the comapny.

Only Google, Apple, and Waze are up to date, all the 3rd party are years behind...

Garmin seems to be good too.

Edited by Multitask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised that the maps from HERE are not more recent.  Maybe Ford doesn't like paying much for the newer ones? <shrug>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried downloading the update to usb thumb drive 4 times now. I get an error trying to install every time. Never had an issue updating normal Sync 2 and 3 updates but this map update is driving me crazy.

using USB 3 drive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the download and install instructions,  If I remember correctly ;) when I updated mine, USB 2 and formatted exfat32. 

It said USB3 in instruction, but I think I have had better luck with USB2 with sync updates.

 

USB Requirement
 The application requires a USB formatted (exFAT32), blank, device that is 16GB or greater in order to transfer the downloaded files from your computer to a USB. Any files or directories that already exist on the USB will be removed if you are required to format the USB. See Step 5 for format instructions.

Edited by punch-card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Custom Search

×