• Welcome!

Welcome to the Ford SYNC Forum!  Please sign in here or create an account here.

Sign in to follow this  
jeffdeq

Updated v2.0 to v3.0 using iPhones wifi hot spot

On 10/30/2018 I used my iPhone 6s+ hot spot to update automatically my 2017 Mustang GT SYNC3. I took about 45 minutes. I did it while I was driving to my relatives that were an hour and a half away. It took about 3 tries of selecting scan for update before it started downloading. After that I left it alone. Listened to the radio while it was working. It did an auto reboot at about 40 minutes into it. When I got to my relatives home the information screen still showed ver2.0. However, later in the evening when I got back home it showed ver3.0. I checked just now at the Ford Owners site and it is now showing that the radio has updated to ver3.0.

All in all, this way was a lot easier than fooling with a usb stick. That is what I have been doing with my 2015 F350 SYNC2 this evening. Just finished it. Now it has V3.10.

I understand that by using your iPhone as a WI-FI hot spot that you could update your Sync3 with that method as long as Ford's WI-FI updating process is working (never works for me on good signal with home WI-FI). But how can that be used for Sync2 MFT when the only update method is by USB?

Ignore question about Sync2 MFT, I just re-read and had miss understood, I now know that you were updating that by USB.

Edited by FordGuy

Correct, using my phone to give Sync 3 a WiFi connection in order to update version is a lot easier than using a usb and idling for an hour!